Build a Planter Box #DIY


The weather in Chicago finally rose to 50 degrees this weekend! My husband, Gus, and I celebrated in the following manner:
  • We went for our first outdoor run in 6 months. 
  • We wore shorts. 
  • And finally, I made this planter box for our future pepper plants.
This project was super easy, took 2 hours, and cost about $25. What I love about building a planter box is the simplicity - you don't need any wood glue, Kreg jigs, or anything fancy. You just need cedar picket fencing, 3 2X2's, wood screws, and that's it.

This planter box is exactly 3 feet wide X 14 inches deep X 14 inches tall.

It was made to fit the space between our back door and the garage door, but you can obviously adjust the cut-list below to suit your own needs. Based on the size of our planter, though, we are planning to grow 4 Serrano pepper plants (we've been incubating seedlings for the past few weeks with this germination kit).

Here's my cut list and materials:
  • 9 QTY cedar wood fence posts (from Lowes or Home Depot, about $1-2 a piece)
    • Cut 7 pieces 3 feet long (2 long sides and the bottom)
    • Cut 2 pieces 14 inches long (2 short sides)
  • 3 QTY 2inX2in wood (also from the local home improvement store - they'll even cut it for you)
    • Cut 4 pieces 14 inches long (4 main vertical posts)
    • Cut 2 pieces 10 inches long (interior structure)
    • Cut 2 pieces 2 feet, 8 inches long (interior structure)
  • A few 1-5/8 inch wood screws
  • A few 3 inch wood screws
  • Tools: Any table or circular saw and electric drill. That's it! 
First, I used the 1-5/8 screws to connect two of the 3-ft cedar fence posts to the 14-inch long 2X2's. I used wood clamps, but you could also certain use either patience and/or a helper to hold it while you screw. 

Then, I took 2 of the 2-Ft, 8-inch 2X2's and connected them to each side of the planter box, used the 3-inch screws on either end.

Now, I took the two, shorter 14-inch cedar cuts and used the 1-5/8 screws to connect them to each side of the planter. 

Your planter should look something like this now. I placed the two smaller cuts of the 2X2's directly into the planter for stability and to give something for the "floor" of the planter to rest on top of.

I then nailed each remaining cedar board into the base of the planter box. Notice that I cut a few holes at each corner to accommodate the posts. 

I cut the last remaining center piece in half to finish off the base/floor of the planter box. As you can see in the picture, there are a few gaps throughout the base. I actually don't mind that, since the gap is big enough to let water filter through so the plants don't drown. If a hole is too large for your liking, you can always cover it up with a few rocks. But I kept mine as it's in the picture.

And there you have it! A completed planter box!

Gus said he'll actually plant the peppers in another week or so, when we get through the last frost (it should hit 30 degrees between now and next weekend). I'll have to share some pics once the peppers are in full bloom!









Comments

Popular Posts