Refurbish a Bedroom Dresser













After my 3 year-old Ikea dresser fell apart, I decided to replace it with something sturdy and made of real wood.

I took a peak at Craigslist, and very quickly found this dresser for sale for only $50 here in Cincinnati. Very strong, and made to stand the test of time.



I gave the entire structure a good sanding, and then painted 3 coats of "Newbury Blue" stain, purchased from Lowe's. This is the blue stain that's normally used for patio deck floors. I found that one coat made the dresser light blue, and three coats got it to the rich, dark, moody color I hoped for.

After the staining, I applied 3 layers of poly to give the dresser a nice shine and protection. I gave a gentle sanding after each coat of poly using 220 grit sand paper to ensure no bubbles appeared on the final product.











I replaced the wooden knobs with nice rubbed oil bronze-colored ones that sold for about $2 a piece.

I'm really happy with how this project turned out, because the dresser was bought, stained, and finished all within the weekend.

In the light, it looks like the ocean, with a sense of movement between the blue and green colors, woven into the natural wood grain underneath.



After this DIY, I proudly posted to Pinterest!

And here's the final before and after shot:

Comments

Popular Posts